In 1923, Andrew Boland, General Merchant, Whitechurch New Ross, County Wexford expanded his existing business to include a motor hire service.He purchased one Ford model T Lorry, and one Ford model T car. This service provided the local economy with a badly needed boost in mechanized transport as newly Independent Ireland emerged from its Civil War. It proved to be an instant success and was widely availed of by both private and business customers.
Routine maintenance was carried out at Whitechurch. In 1930 Andrew Boland added to his fleet when he purchased a new Ford model; a saloon car, fitted with a 14.9 H.P. engine, to be used as a Hackney car. The very first fare-paying passenger was Mrs. Tottenham of Killowen house, New Ross. Throughout the 1930’s Andrew Boland’s Hackney and motor hire services operated until the fuel starved years of the 1939-45 Emergency brought business throughout Ireland almost to a standstill.
Business slowly returned to normal after 1945, and in 1948 Andrew Boland’s sons John and James commenced selling second-hand cars from the family premises at Whitechurch. In 1956 they opened a self-drive car hire business, with an office on the quay in Waterford to handle enquiries. In 1958 they secured a Morris sub-dealership which gave James and John access to the new car market.
New and used car sales expanded, and in 1965 the Boland brothers opened a filling station in New Ross town. Within 12 months they secured a Ford dealership for this premises, allowing them to expand into commercial vehicle sales for the first time. During the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, very successful annual car auctions were held in the New Ross facility.